Riding an electric scooter in Germany could be fined up to 500 euros
Nowadays, electric scooters are very common in Germany, especially shared electric scooters. You can often see a lot of shared bicycles parked there for people to pick up on the streets of large, medium and small cities. However, many people do not understand the relevant laws and regulations on riding electric scooters, as well as the penalties for being caught in violation. Here I organize it for you as follows.
1. Anyone over the age of 14 can ride an electric scooter without a driver’s license. ADAC recommends wearing a helmet while driving, but it is not mandatory.
2. Driving is only permitted on bicycle lanes (including Radwegen, Radfahrstreifen und in Fahrradstraßen). Only in the absence of bicycle lanes, users are allowed to switch to motor vehicle lanes, and at the same time must obey the relevant road traffic rules, traffic lights, traffic signs, etc.
3. If there is no license sign, it is forbidden to use electric scooters on sidewalks, pedestrian areas and reverse one-way streets, otherwise there will be a fine of 15 euros or 30 euros.
4. Electric scooters can only be parked on the side of the road, on sidewalks, or in pedestrian areas if approved, but must not obstruct pedestrians and wheelchair users.
5. Electric scooters are only allowed to be used by one person, no passengers are allowed, and they are not allowed to ride side by side outside the bicycle area. In case of property damage there will be a fine of up to EUR 30.
6. Drink driving must pay attention! Even if you can drive safely, having a blood alcohol level of 0.5 to 1.09 constitutes an administrative offense. The usual penalty is a €500 fine, a one-month driving ban and two demerit points (if you have a driver’s licence). It is a criminal offense to have a blood alcohol concentration of at least 1.1. But be careful: Even with a blood-alcohol level below 0.3 per 1,000, a driver may be penalized if he is no longer fit to drive. As with driving a car, novices and those under 21 have a zero alcohol limit (no drinking and driving).
7. It is forbidden to use mobile phones while driving. In Flensburg there is a risk of a fine of 100 euros and one cent. Anyone who also endangers others will be fined €150, 2 demerit points and a 1 month driving ban.
8. If you buy an electric scooter by yourself, you must purchase liability insurance and hang the insurance card, otherwise you will be fined 40 Euros.
9. To be able to ride an electric scooter on the street, you must obtain approval from the relevant German authorities (Zulassung), otherwise you will not be able to apply for an insurance license, and you will also be fined 70 Euros.
Post time: Mar-08-2023